Advanced Placement Courses
For the 2016-2017 school year, Pekin Community High School offered twelve AP classes (AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, AP English, AP Calculus, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics, AP Micro Economics, and AP Macro Economics and AP Chemistry, AP Psychology, AP Language, and AP Literature) to its students. A new course for 2014-15 is AP European History.
Advanced Placement classes not only offer students a rigorous curriculum, but also the opportunity to earn college credit for work done in high school.
Dual Credit Classes
- Dual credit is offered by Illinois Central College to students who take classes at PCHS as well.
- Health Occupations II / Medical Terminology students receive 2 credit hours
- Networking students receive 4 credits per semester times 4 semesters for a total of 16 credit hours
- A+ (computer repair)students receive 3 credits per semester times two semesters for a total of 6 credit hours
- Biology 110/111 students receive 4 credits per semester hour for a total of 8 credit hours
PCHS students that are in the computer technology sequence can earn up to 22 credit hours of college coursework while still in high school.